Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 5 Vancouver

Derek was off to the venue at 6:30am
I spent much of the day working and watching coverage at the hotel
I had tix to the evening draw (USA v Norway, China v France, and Canada v Germany)
The crowd was crazy rambunctious, more of a hockey crowd, and surprisingly unknowledgeable about curling, despite being 90% Canadian (a sea of red out there). I was surrounded by Canadians but none of the people sitting around me knew anything about curling. I heard questions like: Are those people sitting behind the sheet (the coaches) the judges? I think there's judges in curling (um, no). Which country is favored to win the the gold in men's curling (uh, yours, doh).
Ok - I admit it, I'm a little bitter about the Canadian crowd. They were crazy loud - which was fine. They were crazy partisan - which was fine (they went crazy for every shot the Canadian team made - even ones that were straightforward like an open takeout or ones that weren't exactly what the team wanted). But when a few USA fans started cheering U-S-A, the Canadian fans starting cheering against the USA and doing Norway cheers. Obnoxious. It's not like we didn't sit through 2 hours of hearing Ca-na-da and other Canadian cheers. We didn't start leading cheers for Germany. One thing - at least no one cheered for missed shots.
Well - not a good day for our curling teams and not a great day for me. Hopefully today will be better.

No comments: