Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hello from Vancouver

Hi everyone! Jeff asked us to blog a little from Vancouver - so I guess the task will fall to me. Derek actually can't blog, tweet, etc as his NBC contract has a ban on that.
First of all - good luck to all the Nutmeg teams at the Dykes and at the USWCA - we're pulling for you from out here!

Yesterday was a super-long travel day for me. Metro-north to the city, bus to JFK, flight to Seattle, bus (long bus ride) to Vancouver. Ugh! But I'm here. Derek - with his costs paid by NBC - got to arrive much earlier and directly into Vancouver. He got his accreditation validated, sped through immigration (separate line for those working) and got a shuttle to the hotel. He got to hang out at the O-zone in Richmond with some friends of ours. The O-zone is a spectator fun area for the Olympics - there are a couple set up. Having not been to one, I can't say what's in there - except to say that they didn't get into the Heineken house - I guess it was too full :(.

Our hotel is in the city center - and we can see the Olympic stadium from our window. Lots of NBC types and curling officials staying here. Although I guess the "talent" (lingo? for the announcers) are staying at a different, nicer hotel. That's ok.

Derek is catching a bus at 8:30am this morning to the venue - they have a meeting and then a dress rehearsal. Then he picks up his computer (they also gave him a cell phone). I am off to go shopping to buy something special for my birthday at the Olympic Superstore. Then I think I'll explore Granville Island, Yaletown, and other places. I'm going to catch up with some friends (Jennifer Kungle and J Atkinson from Potomac) later to celebrate.

Hope all is well out there and that the first Olympic experience goes smashingly! I'd say I wish I were there helping - but I already lived through the 2000+ people at an open house at Potomac - so I think I've paid my dues :)

Til tomorrow!

No comments: