Saturday, February 20, 2010

Say goodbye to Vancouver

My last day here - I am packed and ready to go. Derek is at the venue like always.
The US Teams finally got some wins yesterday - so that's good.
The crowds in the venue are crazy and sometimes obnoxious. They've started cheering for missed shots by the team playing the Canadians - bad form. And when Madeline Dupont was taking her last shot in the 10th (where she could have won the game) they were deafeningly loud. I don't know how anyone could concentrate in that havoc! It's not good curling form - but I guess that's what happens when you bring a sport into the Olympics - lots of spectators don't have a clue about curling and nationalism takes a on whole new kind of fervor. At this point, it seems like the crowd should be listed as the 5th player for the Canadian teams. Although admittedly, sometimes they are loud and raucous as the Canadians are shooting too - I think they believe that they are revving the person up.
It's been a great trip - the first weekend was amazing. The week was ok - less fun as I had to do work, Derek was gone from 7am to 11pm, and I mostly sat alone at the curling venue when I had tix. But still a neat experience.
The crowds have grown - I think more people come for the second week than the first. Walked around downtown again yesterday and there were massive line for everything - too much for me. There are a lot of pavilions here for different countries, for different provinces, for sponsors - but I didn't really go into any of them because I didn't feel like waiting in line.
Vancouver is a beautiful city - I highly recommend it to anyone to visit or to live in. Great scenery, great walking city, fun places to hang out.
The Malkins arrive today - so maybe someone can convince them to blog...

No comments: